The Four Ancient Intelligences Epi 02 - The House Behind the Village

The village was nearly four hours from the city, and once the bus dropped me on the small road outside it, I had to walk the rest of the way alone. Nobody in the village wanted to take me there. When I asked an old shopkeeper for directions, he studied me for a long moment before asking why I wanted to go. "I'm a writer," I told him. He laughed without any real humor in it. "Then write about another place." When I pressed him for a reason, he only looked toward the forest and said, "Some houses are empty because people left them. That house is empty because something stayed." I assumed he was just trying to scare me and honestly, I welcomed it. I wanted to be scared. I thanked him and kept walking.

The road narrowed and the village disappeared behind me until there was nothing but trees. After nearly an hour I finally saw the house standing alone three floors, a broken roof, filthy walls, windows black as ink, and behind it the enormous tree from the photograph, its branches spread like long dark hands. I circled the building. The front door was locked, but I found a broken window on the first floor and climbed through into a smell of dust, wet wood, and something else I couldn't name. I dropped my bag and opened my notebook to write: Day One. House appears abandoned. No electricity, no neighbors nearby, very quiet. I smiled, certain this was going to be my best story yet. I had no idea how right I was.

That night I ate some bread by the broken window and listened to a forest that was unnervingly silent no dogs, no birds, no insects, nothing at all. At midnight I heard a thump from upstairs, then another. I grabbed my flashlight and crept up the stairs to a long hallway that ended in a closed door. As I approached it, a woman's voice spoke directly behind me, "Why did you come here?" I spun around. No one was there. My flashlight flickered, and at the end of the hallway, the door slowly swung open on its own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I'm 17 and half, I thought the future would be cooler, But.. Epi 07

The Face In The Mirror Epi 20

The Boy Who Taught Himself Karate Epi 04