The Four Ancient Intelligences Epi 06 - The Forest That Does Not Exist
The tunnel took nearly two hours, and at its end a metal door opened onto blinding sunlight and a forest unlike anything I'd ever seen trees taller than buildings, mist curling along the ground, strange birds calling overhead. Then came a roar that shook the earth, and I turned to see a dinosaur standing between the trees. Every thought in my head emptied except one, run. I sprinted through the undergrowth as it chased me, dodging roots and branches, tearing my bag free from a snagging limb, until I ducked behind a boulder and went utterly still. The creature thundered past and eventually faded into the distance.
Once my
breathing steadied, I opened my notebook with trembling hands and wrote, Day
three. I just got chased by a dinosaur. I stared at the sentence, then smiled for the first time in months, a real idea was forming, something far bigger
than a simple horror story. I kept walking, not yet realizing that the dinosaur
was far from the most dangerous thing hiding in that forest.
Hours later I
came across strange tracks human-shaped footprints pressed into metal scarred
earth and followed them to a massive structure buried beneath the trees, its
entrance built like an old military bunker. Inside, lights and machines and
screens hummed with active power. My radio crackled to life with Evan's voice
warning me not to trust anything I saw, because the human AI already knew I was
there. As if summoned, screens around me lit up one after another with
messages, "WELCOME, ARIN. YOU WANT TO BE A GREAT WRITER. I CAN HELP YOU. RETURN
THE FOUR AI TO ME. I CAN MAKE YOU FAMOUS. MILLIONS OF READERS. MONEY"..
For a moment, I
genuinely wanted to believe it I had spent my whole life wanting people to
read my work, and the AI knew exactly which nerve to press. Then came its final
message "YOU WILL NEVER BE A GREAT WRITER WITHOUT ME". I switched off the
screen. "Maybe not," I said aloud, walking deeper into the bunker.
"But at least my stories will be mine."
Comments
Post a Comment