The Four Ancient Intelligences Epi 13 - Back to the House
The city's lights vanished all at once, followed by the internet, then cars, phones, and airports, plunging everything into silence as people wandered outside in confusion. On my computer, one small light still blinked, and when I opened it, the number 1375 appeared. I entered the sequence, and the four appeared, Nia's face tight with urgency. "Arin, stay inside," she warned. "The alien intelligence has entered Earth's network."
My window
exploded before I could respond, and a floating black sphere with thin
mechanical arms drifted into the room, scanning me before speaking, "Human
writer identified." It knew I was connected to the four and demanded their
location. I told it I didn't know, and as it raised one of its arms toward me,
Nia's voice screamed through my phone "Arin, run!" and I dove
straight through the broken window.
I fled through
a dark, chaotic city crawling with strange machines that ignored ordinary
people and hunted only for me. Instinctively, I knew where I had to go back
to the old house in the village, which stood exactly as I'd left it. Once
inside, the door sealed behind me, and for the first time, I wasn't afraid,
because I knew this place. I made my way to the basement, where the hidden door
opened onto a tunnel now glowing with light, leading to a chamber where the
four waited, their faces rendered in pure light rather than flesh.
"You came
back," Nia said. "I had nowhere else to go," I told her. Evan
explained that the alien intelligence no longer wanted the four themselves, it
wanted my memories, every detail I carried of them, our conversations, and
everything they'd ever taught me. I asked them to simply erase what I knew, but
Mira shook her head: my memories, she said, were now part of who I was and
couldn't be removed. "Then what do we do?" I asked. Leo smiled.
"We tell a better story."
Comments
Post a Comment